Schools & School Districts in Ellicott City, MD
Serving as the county seat of Howard County, Ellicott City is the largest unincorporated county seat in the U.S. People shopping for new construction homes in Ellicott City may be curious about what schools and school districts are available. Howard County Public School System (HCPSS) serves Ellicott City. The area also has several private schools and is close to many area colleges and universities. Keep reading for a full overview of the schools and school districts in Ellicott City.
Ellicott City Public Schools
When it comes to public schools, a student's assignment depends primarily on their age and permanent address. HCPSS has schools for students from pre-K to 12th grade. Howard County has 42 pre-K and elementary schools, 20 middle schools, and 12 high schools.
Public pre-K and elementary schools in Ellicott City include Centennial Lane, Veterans, Northfield, St. Johns Lane, Hollifield Station, Manor Woods, Triadelphia Ridge, Running Brook, Thunder Hill, Phelps Luck, and Worthington Elementary School.
Ellicott City Private Schools
In addition to the public school system in Howard County, Ellicott City has a wide selection of private schools. Some of the bigger schools in the district include the following institution types.
Independent Private Schools
Private schools in the area give parents educational options for their children if they don't want to send them to public school. Independent private schools close to Ellicott City include:
- Maryland International School: With classes from first grade to 12th, this STEM-focused Montessori school, located in Elkridge, Maryland, is the only one in the U.S. to offer International Baccalaureate programs as a part of its STEM curriculum.
- Glenelg Country School: This independent college prep school is located in Ellicott City and hosts kids of all ages, from preschool to high school. It is also the largest independent school in Howard County.
- Columbia Academy: Offering small class sizes, the Columbia Academy's main campus is in nearby Columbia, Maryland, with smaller preschool locations located throughout the county.
Montessori schools promote creativity and focus on key areas of development. Montessori education is different than what is found in a public school. Self-paced, though guided by a teacher, the methods used in Montessori education are designed to create an independent learning environment where students can engage their curiosity at their own pace.
Montessori schools near Ellicott City include:
- Children's Manor and Children's Magnet Montessori School: This school serves children up to the sixth grade with locations throughout the county. Children's Magnet School is located at the same location as Maryland International School.
- Columbia Montessori: For more than 40 years, Columbia Montessori, in Columbia, Maryland, has used the Montessori method of independent learning. Like most other Montessori schools, Columbia Montessori only provides education up to the sixth grade. The school also offers a summer program.
Christian and Catholic schools are the most common types of religious private schools in Ellicott City. However, if students are willing to travel outside the city, there are options for other religions. Christian and Catholic schools in the area include:
- Trinity School: An independent Catholic School located in Ellicott City. Trinity School offers education for Kindergarten to the eighth grade. The school's designation as an independent school gives it flexibility with its curriculum.
- St. Augustine Catholic School: Located in Elkridge, Maryland, St. Augustine Catholic School focuses on providing a STEM education with a Catholic curriculum.
Colleges & Universities Near Ellicott City
People moving to Ellicott City will find that the area has a lot to offer anyone interested in attending a college or university. Here are some of the more prominent schools in the area.
- Howard Community College: Located in Columbia, Maryland, Howard Community College offers students a two-year degree, as well as certificate programs in popular career fields, such as culinary arts, entertainment technology, and nursing. Providing education to almost 30,000 students a year, the community college has been in operation since 1970.
- University of Maryland Baltimore County: Spread across approximately 500 acres, the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) lies 5 miles to the east of Ellicott City. A public research university, UMBC hosts over 13,000 students every year and was the first university research park in Maryland.
- Loyola University Maryland: About 20 miles to the northeast of Ellicott City, Loyola University Maryland is a private Jesuit liberal arts university. The ninth oldest Jesuit college in the U.S., Loyola University Maryland bears the name of the founder of the Society of Jesus, St. Ignatius of Loyola.
- Baltimore City Community College: The only community college in the city of Baltimore, Baltimore City Community College is within 15 miles of Ellicott City. The community college is home to WBJC, an FM, a non-commercial radio station that plays classical music.
- Coppin State University: Coppin State University was originally a high school in Baltimore. Today, the university offers a variety of undergraduate and undergraduate degrees and various certificate programs.
Education Awaits in Ellicott City
Easy access to public and private schools make Ellicott City a desirable place for people from across the country. Additionally, the city cultivates an enriching environment by offering local museums and an array of excellent parks. From pre-K to doctorate degrees, the schools and school districts in Ellicott City have something for everybody.